Friday, August 10, 2007

Why Paul Haggis Won't Be Nominated For Another Oscar in 2008

A friend of mine and I have a tendency, when we imbibe, to make inane bets. What celebrity seems most likely to be illiterate? (Answer: Billy Crudup)

A few weeks ago he lay the gauntlet once more and asserted, "I bet you Paul Haggis will be nominated for another Oscar this year." After watching the pathetic demise of The Black Donnellys on NBC, I figured this probably wasn't going to be Haggis' year and I took the bet. Now, we won't know for certain until the nominations come out early 2008, but I believe the evidence below irrefutably shows that the reign of Paul Haggis has come to an end.

I mean can you honestly cop the emotional score from an Oliver Stone trailer that came out less than 24 months before and still expect to be rewarded with the industry's highest honor in artistic achievement? Oh right, this is the Oscars. Probably.

In the Valley of Elah



World Trade Center

No comments: